One of the most important elements of the Melbourne Cup is timing.
Whether you’re at the track, in the office, on the road or hosting your own barbecue, you need to get your timing right.
If you’re armed with all the correct times, you won’t miss a race. If you don’t miss a race, then all of that Melbourne Cup form and homework you’ve done won’t go to waste.
While most race days have a very similar 30-40 minute break in between races, the Melbourne Cup is a beast of its own, starting at 11am, with the tenth and final race kicking off at 5pm.
Before we take a look at the race day program, make sure you take a look at our key Melbourne Cup betting guides:
- How to bet on the Melbourne Cup
- Best bookmakers to bet on the 2019 Melbourne Cup
- 2019 Melbourne Cup odds
- Melbourne Cup order of entry
- Melbourne Cup free bets
- Melbourne Cup futures
- Melbourne Cup fashions on the field
|Race no.||Time (AEDT)||Race||Distance||Prize money|
|1||11.00am||Bumble Stakes||1000m||$150,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|2||11.40am||TAB App Trophy||1700m||$120,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|3||12.15pm||Grinders Coffee Roasters Trophy||1400m||$120,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|4||12.50pm||Ronald Mcdonald House Charities Plate||2800m||$120,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|5||1.25pm||Schweppes Flemington Fling||1000m||$120,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|6||2.00pm||Jim Beam Black Stakes||1400m||$150,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|7||3.00pm||Melbourne Cup||3200m||$7,050,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|8||4.05pm||Furphy Plate||1800m||$150,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|9||4.45pm||MSS Security Sprint||1200m||$150,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|10||5.20pm||The Hong Kong Jockey Club Stakes||1400m||$200,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
Some key Melbourne Cup race day notes:
- Most veteran Melbourne Cup punters will know that while Melbourne Cup Day is a huge gambling event, outside of the big race itself, the quality of the races isn’t great, with the next best prize money being $200,000 in the ‘get out of jail’ stakes in the last race.
- Punters will have one hour to prepare for the Melbourne Cup after race 6, which kicks off at 2pm. Punters will then have an hour to celebrate their winnings or commiserate before race 8, which starts at 4.05pm
- The $7 million purse for the Melbourne Cup is a record for the event and there is $7.3 million in prize money to be won across the day.
Latest Melbourne Cup betting news & tips
Godolphin With Strong Golden Slipper Hand
A capacity field of 16 plus three emergencies has been declared for the $3.5 million Group One Golden Slipper at Rosehill, with global operation Godolphin...
Lankan Star To Be Vetted Before Slipper
Lindsay Park’s Golden Slipper hope Lankan Star will have to undergo a second veterinary inspection before she is confirmed to start to start in the...
Mornington Option Favoured For Bons Away
Trainer Ciaron Maher is keeping his options open with talented sprinter Bons Away, nominating him for three upcoming races at different venues The gelding has...
Trainer Ben Currie Stood Down Again
Ben Currie will seek an extension of a stay so he can continue training after an internal review reaffirmed a decision to stand him down...
Waller To Have Strong Hand In Group Ones
Chris Waller heads to Golden Slipper day with favourites in three of the five Group One races, two of them the highest-profile horses in the...