One of the most important elements of the Melbourne Cup is timing.
Whether you’re at the track, in the office, on the road or hosting your own barbecue, you need to get your timing right.
If you’re armed with all the correct times, you won’t miss a race. If you don’t miss a race, then all of that Melbourne Cup form and homework you’ve done won’t go to waste.
While most race days have a very similar 30-40 minute break in between races, the Melbourne Cup is a beast of its own, starting at 11am, with the tenth and final race kicking off at 5pm.
Before we take a look at the race day program, make sure you take a look at our key Melbourne Cup betting guides:
- How to bet on the Melbourne Cup
- Best bookmakers to bet on the 2019 Melbourne Cup
- 2019 Melbourne Cup odds
- Melbourne Cup order of entry
- Melbourne Cup free bets
- Melbourne Cup futures
- Melbourne Cup fashions on the field
|Race no.||Time (AEDT)||Race||Distance||Prize money|
|1||11.00am||Bumble Stakes||1000m||$150,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|2||11.40am||TAB App Trophy||1700m||$120,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|3||12.15pm||Grinders Coffee Roasters Trophy||1400m||$120,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|4||12.50pm||Ronald Mcdonald House Charities Plate||2800m||$120,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|5||1.25pm||Schweppes Flemington Fling||1000m||$120,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|6||2.00pm||Jim Beam Black Stakes||1400m||$150,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|7||3.00pm||Melbourne Cup||3200m||$7,050,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|8||4.05pm||Furphy Plate||1800m||$150,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|9||4.45pm||MSS Security Sprint||1200m||$150,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
|10||5.20pm||The Hong Kong Jockey Club Stakes||1400m||$200,000||BET ON THIS RACE|
Some key Melbourne Cup race day notes:
- Most veteran Melbourne Cup punters will know that while Melbourne Cup Day is a huge gambling event, outside of the big race itself, the quality of the races isn’t great, with the next best prize money being $200,000 in the ‘get out of jail’ stakes in the last race.
- Punters will have one hour to prepare for the Melbourne Cup after race 6, which kicks off at 2pm. Punters will then have an hour to celebrate their winnings or commiserate before race 8, which starts at 4.05pm
- The $7 million purse for the Melbourne Cup is a record for the event and there is $7.3 million in prize money to be won across the day.
Latest Melbourne Cup betting news & tips
Tough Crumpet A Bright Light For Owners
She may sound sweet but Iamacrumpet is one tough little mare. The four-year-old will run in the Highway Handicap at Rosehill on Saturday after winning...
Te Akau Shark Wins Again For Nrl Veteran
NRL star Paul Gallen’s first foray into racehorse ownership is turning into a gilt-edged investment as a shareholder in one of New Zealand’s most exciting...
Cummings Counts On Distant Drop For Tally
Godolphin trainer James Cummings has opted for a drop in distance for Tally who runs in a stakes race at Sandown. Having contested the 2500m...
Ex-Godolphin Runners A Hit With Mcfarlane
A wide barrier draw at Doomben has swayed trainer Greg McFarlane to keep Dissolute closer to home and run the recent Godolphin acquisition in Sydney....
Lord Fandango Cleared For Zipping Classic
Trainer Archie Alexander hopes to end a spring of frustration on a bright note when Lord Fandango starts in the Zipping Classic at Sandown. Alexander’s...